Welcome back to another “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb through the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. A few things I want to point out before diving in: (a) the Stan Lee elder abuse story is still ongoing, you can find links to articles in the comics section; (b) it was fairly busy for me that last week or so, so I’m fairly sure I missed things when compiling this list. As always, let me know in the comments if there was some super awesome announcement or article I missed this week. It’s fairly gross and cold where I am right now, so I’m going to go burrow under the covers and binge some anime after this.
Anime and Manga News
- Hayao Miyazaki reveals he is still in shock over Isao Takahata’s death, explaining his lack of statement after the passing of his colleague.
- Eleven Arts Anime Studio has acquired US screening rights for Mari Okada’s film “Maquia – When the Promised Flower Blooms.” Theatrical screenings will begin July 20th.
- “The Piano Forest” anime will be exclusively streamed on Netflix with release outside of Japan slated for this Fall.
- “Himoto! Umaru-chan G” manga will end this April.
- A new “Detective Conan” spin-off manga was announced that will be focusing on Toru Amuro. Work for the new series will begin in May.
- “Beelzebub-jou no Okinimesu mama” manga is getting an anime adaptation. No date has been announced as of yet.
- Yuu Watase has announced that her manga “Fushigi Yugi” will end with the current arc, citing her declining health as a reason.
- A Japanese Engineer has built a giant robot in order to realize his “Gundam” dreams.
- A sequel production for “Mobile Suit Gundam 00” was announced at a 10 year anniversary event.
- The staff behind “Devilman Crybaby” has teased an important announcement to come in the future, possibly a new season.
- “Laid Back Camp” has apparently inspired a winter camping boom in Japan as fans of the try to experience the camping sites featured in the show.
- “Font Danshi (Font Boys)” is a new manga that just launched that transforms popular Japanese fonts into cute highschool boys.
- Ayuko Hatta, mangaka of “Wolf Girl Black Prince” announces work on a new manga series entitled “Haibara-kun wa Gokigen Naname”.
- Detective Conan has been awarded the title of Police Chief at an event to promote the new film.
- Voice actress Atsuko Enomoto discusses the prevalence of sexual harassment in the industry and how it has affected her career.
- The “Batgirl” movie is back on with the writer for “Bumblebee” after Joss Whedon left the project.
- Sources tell Comics Beat that it is very likely Amazon itself who is setting the prices on the 99 cent sales of Marvel comics.
- Comichron gives us a look at March 2018’s comic sales based on Diamond Comic’s stats.
- “Rick and Morty” are slated to have a crossover with “Dungeons and Dragons” in a new upcoming comic.
- Concerns over Stan Lee’s treatment by handlers and friends continue after reports of his condition from fans at Silicon Valley Comic Con. The story picked up again later in the week as Lee’s legal counsel filed suit against one of his business partners for elder abuse.
- CBS Interactive has bought ComicBook.com as well as parent site PopCulture.com. They also own Comics Vine as part of Gamespot.
- A new “comic con” movie has been announced titled “Supercon” directed by Zak Knutson.
- Boom! Studios has announced a “Lumberjanes” graphic novel releasing October 2018.
- Comical Thoughts discusses why comic book movies do very little to influence comic sales overall.
- Mel Magazine takes a look at the new and growing religious movement centered around Goku from “Dragon Ball Z”.
- Nelson Santiago poses an interesting question: Do ecchi anime normalize male abuse? The article is fairly average, but the question could use some more digging I think.
- 98JSB takes a look at what makes “My Hero Academia’s” heroes work so well in comparison to something like Marvel or DC.
- Noah Sterling lays down the history of tentacle porn in Japan in this 2016 video. I’m making a bit of an exception for this video as I literally just found it and I think the content is worth posting it this long after it was created.
Featured WordPress Post
- Remy Fool discusses how main characters too often get the brunt of criticism in a series that may be unwarranted.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news. Reviews go up every Wednesday and Saturday with News every Sunday.
2 thoughts on “Last Week in Geekdom – Your Weekly News Round-Up (4/9-4/15)”
I really do love your weekly round-ups.
Thanks for featuring my post!
Thanks and you’re very welcome!
LikeLiked by 1 person