Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. If you haven’t already seen my blog update, I’ll be taking a break for the rest of the month after this post, but you can still catch me on Twitter. I’m hoping to get some time to sit down and actually plan out some better content as well as reconsider the format of this new post. So stay tuned in January for some new content. In terms of news highlights for this week: Way too many anime announcements this week, so check below so some of those; The internet has been going crazy about the announcements of Cowboy Bebop live action and Blade Runner anime; and Netflix has cancelled the Daredevil series after 3 seasons. Be sure to check out the videos and articles below, and as always have a great Sunday! I’ll see you all in 2019!
Anime and Manga News
- Anime announcements:
- The Disastrous Life of Saiki K conclusion December 28th
- The Promised Neverland premieres January 10th
- Twilight to debut in 2019
- RobiHachi to debut in Spring 2019
- My Housemate Is on My Lap, But Sometimes on My Head to premiere January 9th
- Grimms Notes coming January 10th
- Boogiepop and Others coming January 4th
- Maidens in Your Savage Season gets anime adaptation
- Forest of Piano second season coming January 27th
- Star Twinkle Precure for 2019
- Ultraman coming April 1st
- 7Seeds coming April 2019
- Manga announcements:
- Charlotte and 3 other manga to end December 27th
- Nekopara ended this week
- Honey Bitter ended last week
- Love Tyrant ends December 5th
- Monster Musume has new chapter
- Youtube has been ordered to reveal the IDs of posters of illegal manga scans after videos of pages from the popular manga Ushijima the Loan Shark appeared on the platform.
- A lost Disney film from the pre-Mickey Mouse era 1920s has been found in Japan showing one of Walt Disney’s original characters.
- Funimation will screen Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection sequel anime film in North America in 2019.
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway’s Flash film trilogy has been teased as starting sometime next winter.
- Netflix will be producing a live action Cowboy Bebop series for 10 episodes.
- Crunchyroll adds 12 more dub titles to its library including Ace Attorney and Berserk season two.
- Crunchyroll and Adult Swim will be partnering to produce a Blade Runner anime series for 13 episodes.
- Mobile Suit Gundam writer Yu Yamamoto passes away at 71.
- Marvel launches new comic book with leading Japanese band Sekai no Owari, Greg Pak, and Takeshi Miyazawa.
- A number of comics have been banned from Louisiana prisons including Saga and Sin City.
- Marvel hints that Daredevil will be returning in some form in the future after its sudden cancellation on Netflix
- Disney’s new streaming service Disney+ will not be taking on any of the cancelled Netflix series like Daredevil and Luke Cage.
- Lion Forge has restructured and laid off twelve people.
- Jack Fisher Books looks at the difference between the characters of Kamala Khan and America Chavez in how to write endearing female characters.
- Anime News Network interviews Mirai director Mamoru Hosoda.
- Anime Feminist has created a queer fudanshi’s guide to boys love manga.
Featured Twitter Threads
- @LostMulHoland (Caroline A. Burke) talks criticism and how to write better literary critiques and reviews.
- @andrearitsu looks at trans representation in anime and the effect of localization on those characters’ identities.
- The Pedantic Romantic takes a look at the word “trap”, it’s history, and how it’s being used to refer to and in most cases insult trans people especially in the anime community.
- OtakuDaiKun looks at the creation of live-action adaptations of anime and why we become excited about them and why they fail.
Featured WordPress Post
- Irina talks about the importance of including discussions on the more technical aspects of anime in reviews.
- Atelier Emily discusses how the anime Tsurune creates a sense of otherworldly spaces through the shows direction.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news!
If you like what I do, consider supporting me on Ko-fi.
4 thoughts on “Last Week in Geekdom – Your Weekly News Round-Up (11/26 – 12/2)”
Wow – thank you so much for the mention!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I didn’t know that Sekai no Owari was going to be in a comic book!! Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Youre welcome! Always happy to help.
LikeLiked by 1 person