Welcome to “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb through the internet to find the most important news you need to know so you don’t have to. This will be one of the only places on this blog that genre doesn’t matter. I’ll be featuring news stories from across comics, anime, and manga as well as general industry news. Obviously I’m going to miss things or think some things are more important than others. If I’ve missed something you think is important, let me know in the comments below! New additions to the format are Featured Articles, Featured Videos, and Featured WordPress Blog sections.
Anime and Manga News
- Crunchyroll adds “Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign” and “Rainy Cocoa” to catalog
- A new “Tiger and Bunny” anime project revealed as “Double Decker!” featuring Doug and Krill.
- Production IG confirms that Mamoru Oshii is working on new school fantasy live action film.
- GKIDS licenses “Fireworks” anime film, setting a summer theatrical release date.
- Reigen from “Mob Psycho 100” gets a spin-off manga on March 19th
- The Kemono Friends website launches a countdown clock which will end March 26th possibly for its new license “Kemono Friends Project G”.
- Violet Evergarden is finally slated for an April 5th release on Netflix in the US.
- “Gunsmith Cats” gets a reboot anime short to premiere at Anime Central.
- “Goodnight Punpun’s” Idio Asano posts a new manga entitled “Service Area” on NHK’s Domo, Manga Desu website.
- Amazon Prime members can now read Volume 1 of “Battle Angel Alita” for free on Kindle and Comixology.
- “Mob Psycho 100” anime gets second season with all the same staff.
- Nicholas Cage gets cast as Superman in Teen Titans Go movie.
- Gail Simone is slated to write a new Plastic Man series for DC.
- The Cartoonist Studio Prize shortlists for print and webcomics were announced.
- Marvel announces an exclusive contract with Chip Zdarsky.
- Comixology is having a sale on Marvel collections for just 99 cents.
- Ava Duvernay to direct the “New Gods” movie for Warner Bros.
- IGN discusses the hidden cost of Marvel’s unbelievably cheap digital comics sales.
- CBR talks about how Erica Henderson made “Squirrel Girl” so successful.
- The Sakuga Blog highlights some new and upcoming animators in the industry who are doing great things.
- Mother’s Basement discusses why he thinks the first good live-action anime adaptation is just around the corner.
- Super Eyepatch Wolf talks about why the Junji Ito Collection anime was a major disappointment.
Featured WordPress Post
- Irina debates whether or not there is such a thing as a light magical girl show.
If you’d like to have your blog post featured in this section, please let me know before next Sunday. You can reach me through Facebook, Twitter, and my contact page.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all your Bloom Reviews content updates and news!