Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. Phew! This week has been tough for me with work and starting on wedding planning, so I’m sorry if post have been delayed. There will probably be more delays in the coming weeks as well. Anyways! On the news front, I’d suggest checking out the Magical Girl Ore cosplay photoshoot from Crunchyroll below, the new comic publisher Ahoy which is planning on some interesting contributions to serial comic publishing, and the next installment of the Stan Lee elder abuse saga where we finally see some legal action being taken. I would also suggest checking out the two videos I featured this week. The Pedantic Romantic has some great views on March comes in like a lion, one of my all time favorite animes. Happy Sunday and happy father day to all you dads!
Anime and Manga News
- Misaaki Yuasa has announced his next feature film, a love story between a girl and a surfer who suddenly turns into water, slated to be released in 2019.
- My Sweet Tyrant will be getting a second cour, continuing into the Summer 2018 season of anime.
- Two Power Rangers actors participated in a Magical Girl Ore cosplay photo shoot and it’s glorious!
- The Silver Spoon manga goes back on hiatus this week reportedly due to a health issue with the mangaka’s family.
- Kiss Him, Not Me mangaka Junko is planning to launch a new manga. No details on the story have been released yet however.
- The staff for Tada-kun Never Falls in Love has announced they they are replacing the voice actor for the character of Hajime after the actor was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.
- The Barakamon manga will be ending this December with its 18th volume.
- The anime adaptation for Muhyo & Roji will premiere August 3rd.
- Anime Expo will host the world premiere of the anime adaptation for Kengan Ashura on July 7th.
- Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! (An Angel Flew Down to Me!) will get an anime adaptation through Studio Kobo.
- The mangaka for Ao-Natsu has announced a new manga beginning this fall. The story will deal with an age-gap romance, though no title has been released yet.
- Two founding Vertigo editors are creating a new comic publishing company called Ahoy, which will publish a serial-focused magazine including comics, prose, poetry, and other mediums.
- Here are Dark Horse Comic’s August releases.
- The top 20 graphic novels, comics, and manga according to Book Scan.
- Stan Lee receives a court-appointed legal guardian after manager Keya Morgan is arrested and charged with elder abuse.
- Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns exits DC Comics to enter into an exclusive writer-producer deal with Warner Bros. and DC.
- New Chief Creative Officer and Co-Publisher of DC Comics Jim Lee takes to Twitter to talk about the recent transitions at the company.
- Former Dark Horse Editor Jay Edidin took to Twitter to outline Dark Horse’s treatment of trans employees.
- Newsarama takes a look at a new anthology coming from Lion Forge called Hunters featuring the work of a bunch of indie creators.
- Captain Marvel will be scored by a female composer, a first for superhero films.
- Comic book sales are up to their highest in a year and a half according to Comichron.
- Why Latinx Superheroes Matter: An Interview with Eisner Nominee Frederick Luis Aldama
- The Anime Feminist writer Caitlin Donovan talks the evolution of mangaka Izumi Tsubaki, creator of Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun.
- Anime News Network highlights the growing age demographic of hikikomori in Japan and the serious social issues that force them into isolation.
- The Pedantic Romantic takes a look at March comes in like a lion and how the series presents all of their characters in an empathic and relatable way through its storytelling and references to real-world concerns.
- This week Gigguk talks about the use of CG animation in anime, looking at both the good and the bad and talking about how it could be improved.
Featured WordPress Posts
- Remy Fool takes a short look at some toxic representations of lesbian relationships, questioning the need for a predatory lesbian character in yuri stories.
- Two Happy Cats gives anime bloggers some great pointers on how to stay motivated while blogging.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~