Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. October is slowly upon us which means delightful cold weather here in New England, but it also means the debut of this blog’s October Mythology Special. Be sure to come back on October 1st to see what I have planned. Suggestions are open all month long. For this week’s highlights: Seven Seas Entertainment has just announced a whole ton of new manga licenses; controversy has been brewing over the appearance of Batman’s penis in Batman: Damned; and the Ignatz award winners have been announced. Be sure to check out those and more down below as well as the tons of interviews and other announcements. As always, have a great Sunday!
Anime and Manga News
- A new full promo for Golden Kamuy season 2 has been released leading up to its October 8th debut.
- Seven Seas Entertainment has acquired the translation rights for Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist’s Journey, the graphic autobiography of Akiko Higashimura, mangaka behind Princess Jellyfish, to be released May 21, 2019.
- Yen Press has announced a new digital release of A Bride’s Story, with volume 1-5 to release September 25th.
- Shojo Beat has picked up the license for Snow White with the Red Hair, with the first volume coming May 2019.
- Natsume Yujin-cho the Movie: Ephemeral Bond will have a US Premiere at Anime NYC on Friday, November 16th.
- Skeleton Bookstore Employee Honda anime set to premiere on October 7th.
- An extra episode for Violet Evergarden will stream exclusively on Netflix Japan October 4th.
- Ellation, parent company to Crunchyroll and VRV, plan to expand their original content beyond just video.
- Seven Seas has announced more acquisitions, including: My Next Life as a Villainess, Creature Girls, Skeleton Knight in Another World, Mythical Beast Investigator, and I Married my Best Friend to Shut my Parents Up.
- Viz Media has announced plans to release the My Hero Academia: Two Heroes one-shot manga in English.
- Himote House anime reveals staff, cast, and October 7th debut.
- Right Stuf has launched a kickstarter campaign to dub Emma: A Victorian Romance to be released on Blu-ray.
- Manga Entertainment has announced a Blu-ray edition of Makoto Shinkai’s 5 Centimeters Per Second to be released on October 29th.
- LA’s Animation is Film Festival will be hosting the premieres of Mirai, I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, and Okko’s Inn in October.
- After the publishing of Batman: Damned that showed one of the first scenes of Batman in the nude, DC Comics has confirmed it will censor all further printings showing Batman’s penis.
- Marvel Studios’ The Eternals film adaptation has found a director in Chloe Zhao.
- A new graphic novel imprint has been announced at Abrams Comic Arts, called Megascope, that will focus on stories and comics about people of color.
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer finds a new home at BOOM Studios after being dropped by Dark Horse.
- A new TV series from Marvel about female superheroes is coming to ABC, written by Wonder Woman writer Allan Heinberg.
- Publisher’s Weekly summarized SPX for us, highlighting the comic artists who appeared and the drama that was going on behind the scenes.
- A new Killmonger mini-series will be coming to Marvel in December.
- The Ignatz award winners were announced at SPX, recognizing some great indie talent.
- Anime Feminist examines how Today’s Menu for the Emiya Family glosses over issues of domestic abuse and rape featured in the main series.
- The Daily Beast talks with Chelsea Cain about the kind of abuse she faced on Twitter and online following the cancellation of Mockingbird and Vision.
- Reveal, a podcast from The Center for Investigative Reporting, talks with comicsgate investigator Amanda Robb, comic artist Chelsea Cain, and some alt-right comic artists to discuss the influence of the alt-right in the comics industry.
- Comics Beat sits down with illustrator Chris Burnham on his work on Die!Die!Die! and Nameless.
- Vogue talks with artist Liana Finck about her new graphic memoir Passing for Human and her success as an Instagram comic artist.
- Hollywood reporter talks with Joel Rose about his work with Anthony Bourdain on Hungry Ghosts ahead of the trade’s October 2nd release.
Featured Twitter Threads
- @renfamous points out that the comicsgate movement only sees success in terms of money even as they are missing some traditional hallmarks of success.
- @korybing discusses how live action remakes of animated series reinforce the narrative that animation is a lesser art form.
- Gigguk gives us Darling in the FranXX in 10 minutes.
- Strip Panel Naked examines how panel design conveys the passage and weight of time.
- Explanation Point talks about how Magical Girl Site fails at crafting sympathetic suffering.
Featured WordPress Post
- Otaku She Wrote examines the use of the color yellow in Revolutionary Girl Utena and the various meanings behind it.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news!