Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. I took the whole week off from work for Thanksgiving, so I’m planning on trying to get more work done in the coming days and making sure some posts are scheduled for when I’m offline for the holidays. I’m also fooling around with some ideas on how to streamline these news round-up posts, so if you see some changes to the format in the next couple weeks, that’s why. If you have any ideas in that vein, be sure to let me know in the comments. As for news highlights for this week: I’ve added a special section on Stan Lee below to capture all the news and features being published after his death; Anime NYC happened this week, so there’s a whole ton of licensing announcements below; and quite a few anime films are coming to US theaters next year. Be sure to check out the videos and features below, and have a great rest of your Sunday!
Anime and Manga News
- Anime Announcements:
- Fruits Basket coming April 2019;
- Chihayafuru season 3 coming April 2019;
- Cells at Work new episode December 26th;
- Dr. Stone coming Summer 2019;
- All Might: Rising coming February 2019 in the DVD release;
- Mob Psycho 100 season 2 coming January 7th;
- Devil May Cry coming to Netflix;
- Fire Force by David Production;
- Manga/light novel Announcements:
- Black Lagoon returns Spring 2019;
- Restaurant to Another World NA release June 2019;
- Kimi to Boku resumes January 2019;
- Cesare resumes this week;
- Attack on Titan in its final arc;
- Blue Hearts manga by ReLIFE creator starts;
- New Q HayashidaQ Hayashida manga in March;
- Barakamon manga ends with new manga released same day
- Yen Press has announced the new manga and light novel licenses coming to North America.
- The Hunter x Hunter anime film will be showing in US theaters in January.
- Viz Media has announced new manga that it has licensed for North American release.
- Kodansha USA has announced new collector’s editions for Cardcaptor Sakura and Princess Jellyfish.
- Sentai Filmworks has licensed three anime films including Made in Abyss and will be releasing them in 2019.
- Crunchyroll adds 8 more English dubbed anime titles.
- FunimationNow and Amazon Prime have joined together in the UK, with a Funimation subscription becoming an add-on to a Prime membership.
Special Stan Lee News and Features:
- Comics icon and Marvel creator Stan Lee has passed away at 95.
- Bill Maher slams Stan Lee in a blog post, saying only children and dumb people read comic books.
- Alan Duke is starting a podcast focusing on the last months of Stan Lee’s life and the allegations that surrounded it.
- Forward talks about Stan Lee’s legacy as a successful Jewish comic book creator at the start of the comics industry.
- CBR takes a look at how Stan Lee protested the ideas of Fredric Wetham’s Seduction of the Innocent.
- CBR takes a look at how Stan Lee changed the code of the Comics Code Authority through his unwillingness to back down.
- The Root examines how Stan Lee influenced a generation of black Americans with Black Panther and his editorials on racism and bigotry.
- Disney may be eyeing Travis Knight to direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 who previously directed Bumblebee.
- A new less chilling and dark Sabrina the Teenage Witch will be published by Archie Comics in March 2019.
- MIT Press is partnering with Einhorn’s Epic Productions to produce The Curie Society graphic novel.
- DC has revealed its plans for the #1000 issue of Detective Comics to be released in March 2019.
- Image Comics Sleepless will end at issue #11 in January of 2019.
- Selwyn Seyfu Hinds in the New York Times talks about the powerful influence comics have had on the hip hop scene.
- The Anime Feminist examines the representation of queer and trans characters in anime and manga, particularly in some of the villains of Sailor Moon.
- Women Write About Comics talks about why the publication of a comic about a female sex worker is so important.
- Get in the Robot talks magical girl transformations and the history and influences behind them.
- The Canipa Effect takes a look at how Netflix has affected the anime industry.
- Mother’s Basement discusses why he thinks Detective Pikachu will be the first great live action video game movie.
Featured WordPress Post
- Atelier Emily looks at the kind of flower language used throughout Bloom into You and how they relate to the characters Touko and Yuu.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news!
If you like what I do, consider supporting me on Ko-fi.