Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. The month of October is coming to an end and I must say it’s been fun visiting fantasy and witch-themed manga and anime for the last month. I’ve got at least one more review for you all next week before October and spooky-season ends, but I also hope you’ll go back and take a look at the rest of the reviews as well. As for news highlights this week: Japan responds to the Kyoto Animation fire with new regulations; the Joker has become the highest grossing R-rated film to date; and rumors are abound that actor Jared Leto tried to shut down the new Joker film. Be sure to check out the articles and videos linked below and, as always, have a great Sunday!
Top Anime and Manga News
In the wake of the devastating fire at the Kyoto Animation Studios, Japan has introduced new rules governing the sale of gasoline. Now ID checks will be mandatory and the government hopes these and other new regulations will encourage sellers to report any suspicious people.
- Twittering Birds Never Fly BL to get film in February 2020
- Umibe no Etranger BL gets film Summer 2020
- Shirobako film premieres February 29th
- Irregular at Magic High School gets more manga adaptations
- Kamisama Kiss gets new spin-off chapter
- Human Lost manga ends
- Sweetness and Lightning mangaka launched new manga
- Witch Hat Atelier gets gourmet spin-off manga
Top Comics News
Head of Marvel’s television division Jeff Loeb will be exiting Marvel soon, with an official announcement coming sometime around Thanksgiving. This announcement comes after major restructuring in the Marvel Entertainment division. Loeb has said he is looking for more producer roles within entertainment with outside studios.
Sources have told the Hollywood Reporter that Suicide Squad actor Jared Leto made efforts to shut down the recent Joker film. He apparently asked his agents to fight for his version of the joker and make an effort to stop the creation of the film.
The recent Joker film has become the largest grossing R-rated film to date, surpassing Deadpool and Deadpool 2. The film has so far earned 788.3 million worldwide, with Deadpool at 782.6 million in 2016. Forbes notes that this adds another superhero movie to the highest grossing R-rated films list, making four out of the five superhero flicks.
Featured Articles and Interviews
- Adventures in Poor Taste takes a look at what went wrong with the relaunch of The Champions by Jim Zub and why it may have gotten cancelled.
- Comic Book Resources talks with writer Kelly Thompson on her recent project, a new Deadpool-centered comic and her focus on monsters.
- The Guardian speaks with the creator of The President Supervillain Twitter account and how the man behind it mashes up images of Red Skull with quotes from President Trump.
- An AMA on with Cowboy Bebop director Shinichiro Watanabe has just concluded on Reddit’s r/Anime with over 960 comments.
- Anime Feminist takes a hard look at the demands placed on manga creators and how the industry and its fans need to change for there to be improvements.
- The Cartoon Cipher sits down with voice actor and ADR Director Howard Wang and talks about what goes on behind the scenes on an anime dub.
- Mother’s Basement takes a hard look at the isekai genre and its recent influx of series this season, picking out some specifics to talk about.
- Hello Future Me talks Avatar this week with a hard look at the worldbuilding involved in creating the fire nation and its various economic, political, and social structures.
- Zeria details the differences between Japanese portrayals of cyberpunk versus Western portrayals.
Featured WordPress Post
- Reasons to Anime looks at one of the most troubling tropes in romance anime and how it can bring down a series like Citrus.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news!
If you like what I do, consider supporting me on Ko-fi.